Monday, January 4, 2010

Science Cookie Round Up #1



Science cookie round-up time!

I'm working on my next batch of science cookies, they require a lot of drying time between icing so it is probably going to take a few days work. (Note: my dodgy circuit board cookies are not the current project, they are just a little side science cookie I played with a while back.) So, until I finish this next round of baking and icing science cookies, I thought I would do a science cookie round-up for all the eager science cookie fanatics out there.

These are some of the cookies I've stumbled across or have been sent to me and I love them. Popularizing science through baking is a very good thing. If anyone would like to do, or has done a little science themed baking, e-mail me some cookies and I'll be happy to post them in the second round-up.

So, lets get to the cookies! Starting with these awesome cookies by Katy. I think it was worth covering her kitchen "in powdered sugar and chunks of icing ribosomes."


Petri Dish cookies by lalzi22:

A great assortment of science cookies from Tamsin, Carrie and Katie:


I just love that warty toad.

Trilobite spritz cookies from Elyse:


Fractical cookies by the Evil Mad Scientist:


Maitreya's petri dish and C. elegans cookies:


A nice selection of flora and fauna from Prophet-of-bloom.blogspot.com and bakeoff-flunkie.blogspot.com:

(The above are done with natural plant dyes, how sweet is that!)



Dylana's amazing and periodic table (she used store bought shortbread squares which was a brilliant move):

Those C. elegans at Dartmouth are pretty fancy:


Love Christina's conical flask cookies:


We will end the round-up on Benjamin's delightfully disturbing esophageal dysphagia cookies (and they get even weirder after the jump):

38 comments:

  1. I love it! Just re-tweeted this. Woohoo for edible science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o! my! goodness! those are fabulous! i love the trilobites!!!!! and the periodic table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should point out that my cookies were a joint effort with my friends Carrie and Katie! (I'm the frog, Carrie's the fish and Katie's the sheep) :)

    I LOVE those esophageal dysphasia cookies! Very original :)

    -Tamsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added their names to the post to give credit to all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative. I might have had a better grade in science if they had put the material on cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, this is so wonderful! I see you becoming the leading science-cookie-blogger soon. I really am so impressed at everyone's ingenuity...and frosting skills. Now I have to try to think up something clever to contribute for the next round-up :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun!! Thanks for including me in the round-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love all the flask cookies and this periodic table is BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the PCR.....and your soldering skills are to be admired Ms Humble!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww...the periodic table cookies hold a very special place in my heart! :) Can't wait to see the cookies you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is brilliant! I'll make some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just stumbled across your blog - love it. These science cookies are great, but I especially love the periodic table ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made the petri dish cookies also and raised $110 for our local food bank with them in a bake sale auction. Thanks for the inspiration! http://scrapbooklady.typepad.com/katie_the_scrapbook_lady/2010/01/science-cookies-for-charity.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the trilobites the most! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great round up!

    My boyfriend would freak about those circuit board cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE these science cookies!!! Great round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The thought to make science cookies never entered my mind. I really want to whip up a batch of sugar cookies now and give it a go! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to the Prophet of Bloom Blogspot to find the secret to the natural food dyes for the cookies picture above -- could not find. . .do you have the specific recipes.

    I have some food sensitivities and the natural dye aspect is very appealing. . .can you help? (I did try and contact but to no avail)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your science cookies! :D Looking at them makes me so happy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I just noticed this! Thank you so much for posting my cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inspired by your containment suit cookies, I baked gingerbread Marsonauts to welcome my husband and his crewmates back to "Earth" after two weeks at the Mars Society's Utah research station. Greatly appreciated! And fun to do.

    Photo at my LiveJournal post for January 23rd (more on davidlevine's).

    ReplyDelete
  22. the best scientific cookie post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47519100@N03/4357301638/

    ReplyDelete
  24. P.S. I made Periodic Cupcakes for my birthday, but I made them from scratch, frosting and all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the science cookies keep bloging

    -the video game geek

    ReplyDelete
  26. Science cookies! What a great idea. Finally a real reason to frost cookies. Love the circuit boards, flasks and beakers, and periodic table.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for inspiring me and my friends to try this with our own spin!

    http://thursdayeverydayforever.tumblr.com/post/480308534/geeky-cupcakes-inspired-by-the-not-so-humble-pie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful! Just wanted to point out that such baking has a long tradition: according to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Austrian scientist Ida Freund (1863-1914), a chemistry lecturer at Newnham College, was noted for her creative teaching and encouragement of women students. Her "stunts" included making a periodic table entirely out of cakes, with the numbers made from chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Send Flowers to denmark

    Really like this website, this really helps and very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Flower store in UK

    hi guys ... I was very pleased to read the information in this article ... was of great interest and would love to get a lot more information about "Watch the World(s)."

    ReplyDelete
  31. louis
    Wonderful! Just wanted to point out that such baking has a long tradition: according to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Austrian scientist Ida Freund (1863-1914), a chemistry lecturer at Newnham College, was noted for her creative teaching and encouragement of women students. Her "stunts" included making a periodic table entirely out of cakes, with the numbers made from chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can't wait to make one of these. Eat, Love, and Pray Science!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful! Thank you so much for inspiring us.
    dining table

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails